Jason, I really enjoyed your video. You sound very confident and organized, and those are amazing qualities, I believe, if you want to become a High School teacher and one day a University professor. I like the story of your family leaving Vietnam to move here, well, to California. I feel like I can relate with your story. I also moved from another country to the United States, and I too had to focus my energy onto learning English and it cost me losing a language I spoke prior to coming to the states. Now that English plays the role of our primary language, we both need to do what is knows as "strategic investment". Which means if our goal is to master once again our native language, we must invest time and effort to work hard to be successful at that (Larsen-Freeman & Anderson, 2013). Thank you for sharing your story with us!
Thank you for the comment! I'm thankful to hear that someone else has a similar life story to me. English really is our primary language here in the United States, but we can't forget our roots! I hope that you and I are able to work hard and regain the language that has slipped away from us.
Hi Jason! I really appreciated that your video came across as so natural. You just told your story instead of it being a production. I love that you such high aspirations for yourself. All that you are doing right now is a stepping stone to what you truly want to be doing in a career. I like that you highlighted that you began to learn English through television. I think that most of us that were born here take for granted that television can be a great tool in learning dialogue in another language. I also appreciate that you gave examples for what tonal languages sound like, and how different they are from English or German. The Grammar-Translation method seems like it would be the only option for these kinds of languages (Brown and Lee, 2015, p. 52). You must practice grammar heavily to know if what you are saying is correct or not. I can't even imagine speaking Vietnamese. I hear it and can't even try to imitate it. I hope that you are able to invest and recover more of your language!
Thanks for commenting on video! I think everything we do prior to reaching our "dream job" can be considered stepping stones. Which really just means never stop trying to reach higher heights! Vietnamese is extremely tough to learn just like other languages I'm sure. I'm very appreciative that you can relate the Grammar-translation method to my video since practice and repetition is key! Thanks!
Hi Jason! It was interesting to learn that you were born in Vietnam. Although I was born in the United States, both of my parents were born and raised in Vietnam. My parents left Vietnam to seek for freedom and opportunities to live a better life. I was blessed enough to maintain my Vietnamese while obtaining my English. I also remember learning English through the television. I admired the fact that you decided to learn Vietnamese and show pride for who you are. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!
Jason, I really enjoyed your video. You sound very confident and organized, and those are amazing qualities, I believe, if you want to become a High School teacher and one day a University professor. I like the story of your family leaving Vietnam to move here, well, to California. I feel like I can relate with your story. I also moved from another country to the United States, and I too had to focus my energy onto learning English and it cost me losing a language I spoke prior to coming to the states. Now that English plays the role of our primary language, we both need to do what is knows as "strategic investment". Which means if our goal is to master once again our native language, we must invest time and effort to work hard to be successful at that (Larsen-Freeman & Anderson, 2013). Thank you for sharing your story with us!
ReplyDeleteMaisa,
ReplyDeleteThank you for the comment! I'm thankful to hear that someone else has a similar life story to me. English really is our primary language here in the United States, but we can't forget our roots! I hope that you and I are able to work hard and regain the language that has slipped away from us.
Hi Jason!
ReplyDeleteI really appreciated that your video came across as so natural. You just told your story instead of it being a production. I love that you such high aspirations for yourself. All that you are doing right now is a stepping stone to what you truly want to be doing in a career.
I like that you highlighted that you began to learn English through television. I think that most of us that were born here take for granted that television can be a great tool in learning dialogue in another language. I also appreciate that you gave examples for what tonal languages sound like, and how different they are from English or German. The Grammar-Translation method seems like it would be the only option for these kinds of languages (Brown and Lee, 2015, p. 52). You must practice grammar heavily to know if what you are saying is correct or not. I can't even imagine speaking Vietnamese. I hear it and can't even try to imitate it. I hope that you are able to invest and recover more of your language!
Hey Celisha!
DeleteThanks for commenting on video! I think everything we do prior to reaching our "dream job" can be considered stepping stones. Which really just means never stop trying to reach higher heights! Vietnamese is extremely tough to learn just like other languages I'm sure. I'm very appreciative that you can relate the Grammar-translation method to my video since practice and repetition is key! Thanks!
Hi Jason!
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to learn that you were born in Vietnam. Although I was born in the United States, both of my parents were born and raised in Vietnam. My parents left Vietnam to seek for freedom and opportunities to live a better life. I was blessed enough to maintain my Vietnamese while obtaining my English. I also remember learning English through the television. I admired the fact that you decided to learn Vietnamese and show pride for who you are. Thanks for sharing your journey with us!